Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle: Eighth Revised Edition has just been released and is available from The National Academies Press website. Commonly called the Beef NRC, the new edition has been in the works since 2000. The cattle industry has undergone considerable changes and some recommendations in edition seven are no longer relevant.
Source: Beef, May 17, 2016.
In addition to a thorough and current evaluation of the literature on the energy and nutrient requirements of beef in all stages of life, this volume includes:
- new information about phosphorus and sulfur contents;
- a review of nutritional and feeding strategies to minimize nutrient losses in manure and reduce greenhouse gas production;
- a discussion of the effect of feeding on the nutritional quality and food safety of beef;
- new information about nutrient metabolism and utilization;
- new information on feed additives that alter rumen metabolism and postabsorptive metabolism;
- and future areas of needed research.
The tables of feed ingredient composition are significantly updated