Ed Parsons, Google’s geospatial technologist, outlined five megatrends driving technology during his keynote at the Farm Journal AgTech Expo:
- The world is becoming more urban, not suburban.
- Digital natives have formed a new type of consumer.
- Big data is still in its early days, but platforms are providing a massive difference in the shape of business.
- Disintermediation means that if you don’t add value to the process, then you will be removed.
- Information has to be accessible.
Source: Farm Journal AgTech, January 2, 2018.
The megatrends will shape how new technologies are built. One of the building blocks will be remote sensing. Parsons also adds that precise positioning is making large advances, particularly in smartphones.
INSIGHTS: This interview reveals more about how technology will be used to drive cost out of ag systems. Even if we are not techies, it is important to understand what is happening, how Google is involved and start conversations with our colleagues, suppliers and customers to learn and stay abreast of how technology is being implemented.