Casie Bazay is realistic about the natural craze, but offers some examples where natural really makes sense. She reminds us our domesticated horses will never live completely natural lives, but we can adjust to allow them to live more as nature intended.
Source: Horse Channel, March 24, 2017.
Here are Bazay’s 10 natural horse care tips to benefit every horse:
- Allow horses to have near-constant access to forage
- Feed horses hay from ground level
- Let horses move freely
- Consider a buddy
- Use natural fly sprays
- Let horses grow winter coats
- Reconsider deworming programs
- Replace drugs with herbs/nutraceuticals when possible
- Don’t trim horses’ whiskers
- Consider alternatives to metal shoes
INSIGHTS: These are good tips for student or rider groups and as content for websites, blogs and newsletters.